First Presbyterian Church of Clay Center, Kansas was organized on April 1, 1871 by Reverend John D. Perring and ten people who became the first members of the congregation.
The first church building was located at the corner of Blunt and Seventh Streets. The exact date of the erection of this building is unknown, but a tornado severely damaged the building on July 2, 1880, and it was considered unsafe.
A new house of worship was built of stone on the corner of Sixth and Clark. The stone came from the George Nill quarry. In 1903, the congregation engaged in a remodeling project considered unsatisfactory. Therefore, in 1915 the church was entirely rebuilt. The entire structure was raised and a basement was constructed. On New Years Day of 1933, a fire made it necessary to rebuild the entire structure damaged the church building. Services were held in the high school during the rebuilding process.
In May of 1952, the congregation voted to purchase the Cowell property adjoining the church to the east. This two-story house was used for Sunday school classes until it was razed to be replaced by the educational building. Air-conditioning was installed in the church in 1954. Also during this time, a Director of Christian Education, Barbara (Nelson) Scofield was employed. By 1956, membership topped 1,000 for the first time.
This Christian Educational Unit was completed and dedicated in June of 1958. It was the home of the Clay County Child Care Center for 20 years, serving many children and parents of our community. In 1999, multi-media was installed making available computers and videos that will enhance many church services and programs.